Wed, 29 Apr|
Online (via Zoom)
Living Deep Adaptation
Explore what it is to live the principles of Deep Adaptation in practice: in your life, communities and work. This 7-week online journey combines personal inquiry, shared experiments and practical action within a vibrant learning community, all of us leaning into the unknown.
Time & Location
29 Apr 2020, 18:30 – 10 Jun 2020, 21:00
Online (via Zoom)
About the event
In this era of Covid19, many of us are being offered an opportunity to face in to troubles more directly while still safe enough to inquire, reflect and make tangible change. What does Deep Adaptation look like, smell like, taste like in your life? Come explore, experiment, surrender, cross-pollinate, learn, unlearn, find agency. From micro changes to radical re-orientations. Join us.THE COURSE
Deep Adaptation is about how we relate with societal, ecological and climate collapse - which we take as inevitable and in many places already unfolding - from a place of love-in-action. This is our starting point. For 7 weeks we will form a learning community together, supporting one another to make inner and outer shifts as we explore how to be in a time of breakdown, uncertainty and possibility. Using the ‘4R’s’ of: Resilience, Relinquishment, Restoration and Reconciliation, we'll explore everyday themes such as food, economics and feelings, as well as leaning in to the bigger picture. Underpinning this we’ll be engaging with practices and orientations from additional '4 R’s’: Re-membering, Receptivity, Revelation and Reciprocity that speak to embodiment, deep ecology, mystery, decolonisation and grace. You’ll have the opportunity to engage at different levels of scale depending on your own focus, be that personal lifestyle, workplace, activism or community engagement.
We are offering a brave, creative, nourishing and provocative space within which intimate inquiry, tender unraveling, creative play and practical action are encouraged. The course is rich with frameworks, practices and questions while we will also be responsive to what emerges along the way from you as a learning community and from the field.
WHAT WILL YOU GET?
- 7 participatory zoom sessions including break out groups, pair sessions and plenary time.
- Weekly emails with questions for you to explore, experiments to try, tips and links to support your inquiry.
- Opportunities for peer support (during and after the course).
- A platform to share ideas, info and ‘progress’ with each other including themed sections.
- A recording of each zoom call.
- Optional one to one mentoring during or after the course at 10% discount off usual fee.
- A follow up group zoom call a month after we complete.
WHO IS IT FOR?
- You’ve been aware for a good while that social and ecological collapse is underway.
- You are willing to inquire and experiment, leaning in to your own learning edges.
- You’re interested to challenge yourself in shifting lifestyle in small or large ways.
- You’re looking for nourishment in community and a deeper sense of purpose.
- You are able to be with differing opinions, perspectives and stages of engagement in a learning group.
This course will not give you all the answers. It will generate good questions and support real change.
This will not fix or save the world. It is very likely to involve tears and failures, laughter and love, new connections and tangible shifts in how you live, love and face in to trouble.THE PRACTICALS
Every Wednesday 29 April - 10 June 6.30-9pm BST. We advise that you plan for at least 15 minutes before to prepare and come online, and some time afterwards to digest and reflect. To convert to your local time zone see https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/ Between calls we suggest between 1 and 4 hours a week to engage with experiments, peer connections and reflections. Much of this can be integrated in to your daily activities too. You are free to engage as lightly or as fully as your circumstances allow.
Tickets are £210. To allow for more folk to join we also have a range of tickets between £70 and £350 to allow for financial diversity. We trust you to pay the one that reflects the magic equation between your value of our time, preparation and skills + your earnings and outgoings. If you would like to enable others - including those hit hard by Covid19 financially - to access this course and similar work, there is a ‘Reciprocal Rhythm’ pot that you can donate to here. If you cannot afford the lowest fee but are keen to join, get in touch here to access our Reciprocal Rhythm bursary fund: LivingDeepAdaptation@gmail.comRECOMMENDATIONS FOR JOINING
Here are some recommendations for getting the most from the course and supporting the health of the whole:
- You have Zoom on your computer rather than phone (a free account is fine).
- You have space to be alone while on the call. Sessions will include silence, invitations to share personal edges and opportunities to make noise!
- You have enough time to explore some of the themes and practices between calls. We suggest between 1 and 4 hours a week.
- You have read Jem Bendell’s original paper (https://www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf) and ideally engaged in the topic of Deep Adaptation elsewhere too.
- You have people and practices outside of the course to support you in potential tender or challenging aspects of the course, This is delicate and unknown terrain and we want to be both courageous and care-full together during the brief time online.
- You are willing and able to be with your own and others’ feelings about the world and personal situation with compassion.
- We're engaging with a subject area that can be deeply challenging emotionally, to our nervous systems, to our ideas of the world and the future and to our identity. While we will create conditions for safety in ways that we can, we'd like to know what support you have to help you meet anything that arises before /during / after the event.
- As much as you’re able, we recommend making as much space as you can before and especially after each session, to tend to your own wellbeing, to be in good relationship with those around you and to allow space for the creative spirit to arrive!